There may be folks among you that like the show, but do not have iTunes installed or have it installed but do not know how to use it. It is perfectly reasonable to listen to the show by coming here to these show notes and simply clicking on the link. However, there are some benefits to using iTunes. Some benefits for you and some for us.
iTunes is a media player. It also ‘syncs’ music, podcasts, etc. with your iPod/iPhone. The benefit here is that you can ‘subscribe’ to the podcast (or other media). When you subscribe, iTunes will periodically check for updated content. Not only will it be available for play in iTunes itself, it will be automatically transferred to your player. I personally am subscribed to a number of podcasts that I like so new episodes just ‘show up’ on my iPod when I sync.
The other benefit is to us. iTunes is a clearinghouse where you can search for and find media such as podcasts about a huge range of topics. Hopefully some people will find our podcast in this manner. That is where the rating comes in. If we have more subscribers and more positive reviews, we will appear higher on the list!
So if you want the benefits of subscribing or you just wand to help us out, here’s how to do it:
- Download and install iTunes (www.itunes.com)
- It will require you to set up an account with a credit card. Dont worry, Engineering Fatherhood is free and always will be.
- When you load it up, it will have a list of categories on the left. One of them is iTunes store. Click on that
- There is a lot of different types of media on the store (songs, tv shows, etc.). Most of it has a cost. Podcasts are free. Click on podcasts.
- Search on Engineering Fatherhood. The results page will come up that shows all the matches. Unless a movie comes out with the same name, there should only be one match. This is what confused our illustrious SafetyNerd. You need to click one more time on Engineering Fatherhood to bring up our actual page.
- Our actual page contains all the episodes. Click ‘subscribe’ – This will tell iTunes you want it to download all new episodes automatically. Click on the stars to indicate how many stars you would like to rate us (hint – five is good). If you are so inclined, you could even write us a review. That would be awesome!
- Then you are good to go. You can either use your iPod or the iTunes program to listen and it will always be up to date. And Engineering Fatherhood will rocket to the top of the ‘Kids andFamily’ category!
Thanks for listening!