Sage advice on raising children (especially boys) in the age of video games.
There are several major problems with video games
- They cost a lot of money (Here at EF we are nothing if not frugal…)
- They are usually antisocial activities.
- They can contain serious violence
- They can cause an addiction
A lot of this is obvious but here are the suggestions that Matt, Mark and John came up with to raise a well adjusted child in the age of video games:
- Sit down and play with them! – Obviously we do this because we are nerds and we like to play, but it is necessary even if you are a non gamer
- Set Time limits (this enables reward/punishment)
- Understand the types of games (strategy vs ‘twitch’) Some game are good for learning!
- Use the purchase of games as a money management tool (incentive for saving)
- Talk to your kids about the games. Nothing too serious, but it will get a shy kid talking for sure…
- The gaming should take place in a public part of the house. Consoles/computers in the kids rooms are a bad idea!
All this wise advice is free of charge! And you get rants and moments too!
App/game of the week – Bad Piggies (sequel to angry birds).
Tune in next week for a very special guest!