Have you had trouble getting your child to sleep? Have you ever had trouble KEEPING you child asleep? Have you ever had trouble waking your child up? These answers and more! Just tune in.
Getting them to sleep:
- Some children (John’s) needed background noise such as running water.
- Letting the kids into your bed can be fun (and snuggly) as a treat, but we don’t recommend ever letting it happen two nights in a row. Then the habit sets in and you will have to fight to change it back.
- Please include bedtime reading for just SO many reasons.
- Don’t listen to websites/magazines full of obvious advice. Do you really need someone to tell you not to give you kid caffeine before bedtime?
- The Ferber Method is a good compromise between you and your wife if simply letting them ‘cry it out’ seems to harsh. With this method you are still letting them cry it out but you are doing it with science!
Keeping them asleep:
- No super ideas here other than ‘be firm’.
- John likened this to weight loss – you know what you need to do but that doesn’t make it easy.
- Matt emphasized that it is really hard to make good decisions when sleep deprived!
Waking them up:
- Try being nice first – if that doesn’t work steal the blankets and turn on the light.
- As early as they can take it, make it the KIDS responsibility to get up on time. If they are late for school, they will have to go to the office – not you!
In other news, after all my complaining, Luke slept right through the night in his own bed last night. Apparently the solution to getting him to sleep is to talk about it on a podcast!
Amazon – You saw the banner. Most of our purchases have been marked as ‘ineligible’. Oh well. You can listen to my rant, but the bottom line is that Amazon still rocks. However I am not happy about their policy of using a ‘proprietary model’ to determine eligibility. C’mon Amazon it is 2013! Secret algorithms are soooo 2007 (financial crisis).
No rants this episode and I think we kept it to under an hour! See you next episode!!!!